Barnes Road between Powers Boulevard and Solar Ridge Drive to the west currently has two lanes of traffic in each direction, with no median, sidewalks, bike lanes or drainage facilities, and a steep downhill slope from the west toward Powers Boulevard. Colorado Springs voters have approved two projects to fund improvements to Barnes Road, via the PPRTA-2 “A List” approved by voters in 2012, and the City’s 2C paving program approved by voters in 2015. This project will widen Barnes to four lanes with median, sidewalk and bike lanes between Powers Boulevard and the Homestead Trail crossing, just east of Solar Ridge Drive.
- Improvements include curb and gutter, sidewalks, median, turn lanes
- Install storm drain infrastructure
- Prepare the intersection for future signal installation at Rio Vista Rd.
The project budget is approximately $3.25 million funded by the voter-approved PPRTA2. The top-lift of asphalt will be provided by the 2C program, with a separate contractor and a separate funding source.
- Project Manager: Kevin Diekelman, City of Colorado Springs
- Engineering Design: SEH, Inc.
- Construction Management: AECOM
- Construction Contractor: Pyramid Construction, Inc.
- Public Involvement: Hayward, LLC