Municipal Court

Additional Closures for March 13, 2019

Garden of the Gods and Palmer Parks will be closed March 13
No Municipal Court Services Wednesday

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The City of Colorado Springs’ Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department has announced that Garden of the Gods Park and Palmer Park will not open on Wednesday, March 13 and will remain closed for the duration of the inclement weather predicted for Colorado Springs.

ALL parks facilities including Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum, Sertich Ice Center, community and recreation centers along with all programs will be closed and cancelled as part of the city closure announced today.

Municipal Court will also be closed all day Wednesday. Those with an appearance scheduled for Wednesday should not report, but must contact the court for a new date by the end of the week (719-385-5928).

Please follow the City of Colorado Springs on Facebook and Twitter for updates (@CityofCOS).

Attorney Practice Guide

Download the Attorney Practice Guide

Colorado Springs Municipal Court is a limited jurisdiction court-of-record which hears charter and ordinance violations of the City of Colorado Springs.  The maximum penalty for each violation that is listed in ordinance number 11.4.104 includes a fine up to $500 plus court costs and probation or a combination up to the maximum.  All violations that are NOT listed in 11.4.104 carry a maximum penalty of $2,500 fine plus court costs, 189 days in jail, probation or a combination up to the maximum.  Court proceedings are governed by the Colorado Rules of Municipal Court procedure, state statutes, city ordinances and local orders.


Clerk’s Office

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Monday – Friday

Mailing Address:  P. O. Box 2169 MC 1530

Colorado Springs CO  80901-2169

Phone:  (719) 385-5928

Fax: (719) 385-6190



Probation Department

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Monday - Friday

Mailing Address:  P. O. Box 2169 MC 1530

Colorado Springs CO  80901-2169

Phone:  (719) 385-5923

Fax:  (719) 385-6202



City Attorney’s Office

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Monday - Friday

Mailing Address:  P.O. Box 1575 MC 1540

Colorado Springs CO  80901-1575

Phone:  (719) 385-5925

Fax:  (719) 385-6438



Marshal’s Office

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Monday – Friday

Mailing Address:  224 East Kiowa Room 150

Colorado Springs CO  80903

Phone:  (719) 385-6101

Fax:  (719) 385-6126

1.      Appearance of Counsel, Entry of:  Counsel may mail or fax their entry of appearance to the Clerk’s Office prior to their initial appearance in court.  Notification may also be made in person in the Clerk’s office at 224 E. Kiowa Street, Room 108.  Attorneys are required to provide verification that they are licensed to practice in the State of Colorado.

2.      Appointment of Counsel:  The court has contracted with private practitioners to provide primary representation for indigent defendants.  Essentially, these attorneys constitute a ‘public defenders office’ for the Municipal Court.

3.       Change of Address:  The Court maintains a list of names, addresses and phone numbers of attorneys who practice in the municipal court.  Please advise the court of any changes of address or phone number by calling 385-5928 or faxing 385-6190.

4.      Discovery:  Requests for discovery should be filed electronically at or with the City Attorney’s Office in Room 410 of the Municipal Court building at 224 E Kiowa Street.

5.      Divisions of Court (courtrooms):  All court hearings are held in the Municipal Court building at 224 E. Kiowa Street. 

Division 1 is on the 1st floor,  Room 110

Division 2 is on the 2nd floor, Room 210

Division 3 is on the 2nd floor, Room 220

Division 4 is on the 3rd floor, Room 310

Division 5 is on the 3rd floor, Room 320

Division R is the Referee hearing room located on the 3rd floor, Room 340.

6.      Documents, Filing of:  Counsel may file documents with the clerk in person, by mail, or by fax. Only one copy of any document should be filed with the court.  The prosecution is also sent a copy by the filing party. 

7.      Jail:  Defendants in the custody of the sheriff appear for arraignments and pretrial conferences in Municipal Court over closed circuit TV from the Criminal Justice Center. 

Juvenile defendants incarcerated in Spring Creek Detention Center are transported to the court building for all appearances. 

In-custody hearings are held in Division 5.

8.      Juveniles:  Municipal Court exercises jurisdiction over both adult and juvenile defendants charged with violations of city charter or ordinance.  Juveniles charged with criminal violations do not face the possibility of incarceration upon conviction.  Prosecution of juvenile defendants is handled essentially the same as prosecution of adult defendants.  Statutory procedural provisions of the Children’s Code (CRS Chapter 19) do not apply to prosecutions of juveniles in Municipal Court.

The court requires a parent or guardian to appear with any juvenile appearing in court or otherwise transacting business with the court.

9       Motions Practice:  Unless directed by the court, motions in Municipal Court are generally made orally on the record.  Written motions may be submitted by counsel by mail, fax, or in person at the Clerk’s office.  A single copy of the motion for the court case file is all that is required. 

10.    Orders:  Written motions should be accompanied by a blank order which Counsel expects the judge to sign if the motion is granted.

11.    Scheduling Court Dates and Continuances:  Court dates are scheduled at the counter in the Clerk’s office, Room 108.  The court requires each defendant rescheduling a case to sign a promise to appear form, in lieu of posting bail.  Counsel may enter their appearance and continue the arraignment for a pretrial conference with the prosecutor at a later date.  These requests by counsel may be in person or by phone prior to the arraignment date.  If done by phone, follow-up written verification of the new appearance date must be submitted to the court by mail or fax.

Clerks cannot continue a case by phone if the court’s copy of the summons and complaint has not yet been received from the Police Department, or if the information has not yet been input into the computer system.  Counsel may schedule or reschedule appearance dates for their clients without the presence of their clients, but are responsible for their client's appearance. 

 The court will generally grant ONE continuance of a proceeding prior to the court date.  If the case has been set for trial and the continuance is requested by counsel, the prosecution must agree to the continuance for the clerk to administratively reschedule the date.  If the prosecutor doesn’t agree, a motion is set before a judge.  Continuances other than from arraignment to Pre-Trial must be requested in the Clerk’s office in person by the attorney.  Attorney support staff are not permitted to sign for continuances of court events.

12.    Subpoenas:  Subpoenas for witnesses to appear at trial are offered to defendants at no charge.  At the time of trial scheduling, defendants are asked if they have witnesses they wish placed under subpoena.  If so, they are provided a subpoena request form to complete and return to the court with witness’ names, addresses, and phone numbers.

Defense subpoenas issued by the court are served by the CSPD Marshals unit.  The court requires subpoenas be requested at least six weeks prior to the trial date to assure attempts of service.  The CSPD Marshal Unit is dedicated to serving subpoenas, but service is not guaranteed.  Subpoenas issued by the clerk may also be served by Counsel or by any adult over the age of 18, and not a party to the case.  Counsel may request the subpoenas from the court.  Unless verification of service is provided to the clerk, court case files will not reflect service.  People placed under subpoena by the defense are the responsibility of the defendant.  Should the defendant accept a plea negotiation in advance of a hearing, the defense is responsible for notifying its witnesses that they need not be present.

SUBPOENAS DUCES TECUM may be served either by city marshals at the request of the clerk, or by counsel or by any adult over the age of 18, not a party to the case.  Blank subpoenas duces tecum forms may be obtained by counsel at the scheduling counter, and served at the direction of counsel.  Subpoenas duces tecum must be issued by a Municipal Court judge pursuant to the Colorado Municipal Court Rules.  Subsequent suppression hearings may be requested by the prosecution. 

13.     Withdrawal:  Court rules require motions to withdraw by counsel to be filed in writing unless made orally in the courtroom at sentencing.  These motions may be granted by a Municipal Court judge reviewing the motions ex parte in chambers.

Municipal Court FAQ

1. General information

Where is the Court located? 

The Colorado Springs Municipal Court is housed in the Robert M. Isaac Municipal Court Building, 224 East Kiowa Street, Colorado Springs, Colorado. This is in the downtown area at the corner of Kiowa and Weber Streets. Reference this map for further help.

What are normal business hours? 

Normal business hours are from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

How do I know if my ticket is a Municipal Court charge? 

Please check your summons. If your summons:

  • was written by a Colorado Springs Police Officer
  • has a blue horizontal color bar at the bottom and
  • states that you are to appear at 224 East Kiowa

then you have received a Municipal Court charge. If your summons was written by a state patrol officer or a deputy sheriff, has a green horizontal color bar at the bottom, or states you are to appear at 270 S. Tejon St., contact the El Paso County Combined Court at (719) 448-7650.

What can I do to resolve a warrant for my arrest? 

To resolve a warrant, appear in Room 108 of the Robert M. Isaac building at 224 East Kiowa Street during normal business hours (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM), Monday through Friday.

If defendants are less than 18 years of age, their parent or legal guardian must accompany them. If the bail amount on the warrant has been set at two hundred dollars ($200) or less, the defendant may simply arrange for a new court appearance date. However, if bail has been set in an amount greater than two hundred dollars ($200), a bond must be posted to secure release from custody. This bond may be posted in two different ways:

  1. Posting the full amount in cash, whether by the defendant or by another person. This amount is either applied against any future fine imposed by the court or returned in full if all subsequent court appearances and obligations are met, OR
  2. Using the services of a commercial surety bail bonding agency. In this method, the bondsman secures the release of a person from custody and pledges to assure their future appearance before the court. In return, a non-refundable premium is paid to the bail bondsman. The contract between an individual and their bail bondsman is a private matter and not subject to the control of the court. A list of licensed bail bonding agents can be found in the telephone directory or searched for online under "bail bonds colorado springs."

What is an OJW? How can I resolve it? 

Colorado law requires this court to notify the Motor Vehicle Division (DMV) of the Department of Revenue when a bench warrant is issued for one's failure to appear or comply with conditions of a traffic ticket (or any type of offense if the person is less than 18 years of age).The DMV will then revoke the driver's license. State law imposes a $30.00 fee, called an Outstanding Judgement Warrant (OJW) fee, in addition to any other warrant fees and costs that might apply. Consequently, there will be an additional reinstatement fee required at the DMV.  If the person is licensed to drive by another state, the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles may initiate license suspension proceedings in that state.

If I am under the age of 18, do I have to bring a parent or legal guardian to court with me? 

Yes. If you are a minor, you must bring a parent, legal guardian, or an attorney who represents you.

Where can I find a list of fines and bail for Traffic & Non-traffic violations?

A payable fines schedule (list of various fines and bail) can be found here 

What if I cannot comply with the judge's sentence? 

Failure to comply with the judge's orders constitutes contempt of court and could result in the issuance of a warrant for the arrest of the person who has failed to comply. It is in everyone's mutual interest to fully resolve all questions about what the judge has ordered before leaving the court.

I am an attorney. Where can I find information and materials regarding the Colorado Springs Municipal Court?

I don't know a certain legal term. Is there a glossary?

Yes. Please visit our glossary.

I would like to provide the Municipal Court feedback regarding my experience. Is there a survey I can complete?

Yes. Please fill out our survey here.

2. Parking tickets

How can I pay a parking ticket? 

You may pay a parking ticket by mail, in person or on-line through this web-site. Click here to for complete information on options for paying parking tickets.

What happens if I pay my parking ticket late? 

A $5.00 late charge will be added to the amount of each ticket if not answered within seven days, and may result in the immobilization (booting) or towing of the vehicle or the issuance of a Summons and Complaint.

For a vehicle that has been immobilized (booted), pay all fines and additional fees incurred by the immobilization at the Violation's Bureau, Room 108. Only cash will be accepted as payment. After 5:00 PM and on weekends, you may appear at the Police Operations Center, 705 S Nevada, to pay your fees.

3. Traffic

How does my traffic citation affect points on my driver's license? 

Traffic citations can add points on your Colorado license. Points are assigned to the violation established by the Colorado Legislature. There are only a certain amount of points a person may have on the license before it is suspended.  Please contact the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles for further information regarding your points. 

This number varies according to the individual driver's age. If you plead guilty or are found guilty on citations involving points, those points will be assessed on your driving record. The court cannot do anything to keep points off your record if you are convicted.

May I attend traffic school instead of getting points put on my license? 

Colorado does not offer a statewide program whereby an individual accused of a traffic violation may take a remedial class and thereby have the citation dismissed. At the Colorado Springs Municipal Court, traffic classes are occasionally imposed as part of a sentence upon a determination of guilt.

Generally, classes are imposed when, in the judgment of the Court or the City Attorney, the accused has demonstrated a need for remedial training. Traffic classes may be part of the negotiations with the City Attorney for a point reduction.

Can I pay my traffic citation without appearing in court? 

Summons and Complaints may be paid if the officer has marked a payable amount on the front of the summons form. The court must receive all payments before the court date indicated on the summons. If there is no payment amount indicated, the summons is not payable and a court appearance is required.

By paying the fine instead of appearing in court, the defendant surrenders all the legal rights to which they are entitled. Payment is a plea of guilty to the offense(s) charged. Penalty points will be assessed against one's driving record by the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If the defendant does not wish to plead guilty, they should not pay the fine and their court appearance is required.

What if I do not have car insurance? 

Colorado law requires that all drivers carry automobile insurance on the vehicle they are driving. The insurance must conform to the laws of our state. Those who are found not to have insurance are subject to mandatory fines and costs.  If you obtain automobile insurance after you received your citation, your fine amount will be reduced.

What if I need time to pay my citation? 

The court can grant you an extension to pay your fines and costs. Those who have the ability to pay their obligations within 30 days will sign a promise to appear in 30 days if payment is not made in full. If payment IS made in full, the defendant need not appear.  If payment has not been made prior to the court date, the defendant MUST appear to explain the circumstances.  Those who cannot pay in full within 30 days are directed to the Probation Department to set up a payment plan.  The court may impose an additional $25 collection fee. Those who are truly unable to pay MAY work community service hours for a public agency in lieu of payment

4. Criminal

What kinds of criminal cases does the Municipal Court hear? 

The Municipal Court hears criminal cases that are violations of the City of Colorado Springs code. Some citations are payable and others require an appearance in court. Some examples of criminal citations include: Drinking in Public Prohibited, Park Hours, Duty to Restrain Animals, Fighting, Shoplifting, Assault, Possession of Cannabis, etc.

5. The court appearance

How can I get an interpreter for my court appearance? 

We have Spanish interpreters present in Monday through Thursday in both the morning and afternoon dockets.

You MUST contact the Probation Department or complete an interpreter request form, if you do not speak or understand the English language, in order to obtain an interpreter at no expense to you. date. For the hearing-impaired, request the use of an assisted listening device from the clerk in the courtroom on the day of the hearing.  To request an American Sign Language interpreter, complete the Interpreter request form

What happens when I go to court? 

When you arrive at the courthouse, you will need to walk through a security scanner. Please arrive on time for your court appearance and be sure to allow enough time to pass through security. You will then enter double doors into the court lobby. There you will be greeted by a court employee or scrolling monitors to assist you with finding the courtroom in which you are scheduled to appear.

When you arrive in the courtroom you MUST check in with the clerk.

What is the court etiquette? 

Court etiquette includes:

  • Dressing appropriately for court.
  • Do not eat or drink in the courtroom,
  • No cell phones or pagers are allowed in the courtroom.
  • The Municipal Court is a court of record and there may be other cases called before your case, so please be quiet and patient so that a good recording is made.
  • If you are wearing a hat, please remove it in the courtroom.
  • When the judge calls your name, step up to the podium and speak clearly into the microphone.
  • Do not speak unless the judge or lawyer asks you to speak.
  • If you do not understand, be sure to tell the judge that you do not understand.

What can I expect in the courtroom?

At the beginning of each court session, you may expect the following:

  • The courtroom clerk will play a video of one's constitutional rights. (A Spanish translation is available from the clerk.)
  • A judge will then enter the courtroom and call each case in the order in which they were received.
  • Each person will be asked to enter a plea of 'guilty' or 'not guilty', or with the consent of the Court, 'no contest'. If one pleads 'guilty' or 'no contest', they may also explain to the judge what happened. The judge may or may not accept the plea.
  • The judge may impose a sentence at the initial appearance.
  • In traffic cases, city attorneys are always available to talk to you about your citations.
  • Criminal cases can require extra time for the city attorney to gather information needed to discuss the case. You may be asked or you may request to return for a Pretrial Conference on a later date in an attempt to reach a mutually beneficial outcome. If an agreeable outcome is not reached (a defendant is free to reject any offer the city attorney makes to resolve the case), the case will be set over again for trial. Witnesses will need to appear at the scheduled trial.
  • One may enter a plea of 'not guilty' and ask for a trial even if they might have committed the offense charged. The term 'not guilty' is the understood way of saying "I want to exercise my constitutional rights and require the government to prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt." Each person charged in this court has the right to have witnesses subpoenaed to testify at trial on their behalf at no cost. Please provide the court with the name, address, and phone number of each witness at least two weeks prior to the trial date.
  • Obtain Subpoena Request forms at the Violations Bureau in Room 108 of the courthouse or on-line. Correct names and addresses will assure that the court will successfully serve the subpoenas in sufficient time. If a witness is not placed under subpoena and does not appear in court at the trial date, a judge is not likely to grant a continuance for that person.

Do I need a lawyer for my court appearance?  

You may hire an attorney if you think you need one. However, many traffic violations are handled individually, without legal representation. If you feel you need one, or are accused of a criminal offense and wish to hire an attorney, the El Paso County Bar Association has a lawyer referral or you may call them at (719) 636-1532.

If you feel you are unable to afford an attorney and may qualify for court-appointed counsel, you may inquire about an attorney at no expense to you. However, if jail cannot be imposed at sentencing, you will not qualify for court-appointed counsel.

What if I cannot appear on my court date? 

Come to the Violations Bureau, Room 108, to reschedule your court date before the appearance date and time listed on your citation. You cannot call the court to reschedule your date, as you must sign for your next appearance date.

If you are the parent of a juvenile, you must also appear with your child to reschedule. Those who fail to appear on their court date subject themselves to possible arrest and additional warrant costs. If you are detained by law enforcement officers for the active warrant, you may be taken into custody. If you cannot post bond, you will remain in custody until the next business day when you will appear before a judge to hear your case.

Does the court provide child care?

Free licensed child care is available through Court Care.  For more information please visit their website.

Is there a checklist of materials I need to bring if I am appealing a court decision?

Please visit our Appellant Checklist.

Jury Orientation

Jury Orientation

A Right And Duty

The right of every citizen to a trial by jury is one of the most important American liberties. No such trial is possible without jurors. Jury service is a privilege and a duty to one's fellow citizens. Colorado law makes jury service as convenient as possible for the majority of our citizens.

Our Court

  • We use a One-Day/One-Trial jury system. Jurors serve for only a single day, or for the duration of a single trial. On the average, jurors can expect to be at the court between 4-5 hours.
  • The Colorado Springs Municipal Court rarely excuses jurors from service. If the prospective jury service date conflicts with an existing appointment, however, the jury commissioner will work with a juror to select a mutually agreeable date for service.
  • Citizens are selected for jury service in this court randomly by a computer. The sources used are the list of registered voters and the list of licensed drivers. The master list of jurors is created at the State Court Administrator's Office in Denver. 
  • Courts with overlapping jurisdiction may each call their citizens to serve as jurors. For example, residents of Colorado Springs may be called for jury service in the U.S. District Court, Colorado's Fourth Judicial District, as well as the Municipal Court. Citizens are not subject to serve more than one time per calendar year.
  • To serve in our court, a juror must:
    • live within the city limits of Colorado Springs
    • be a citizen of the United States of America
    • be at least 18 years of age
    • be able to understand the English language.
  • Prospective jurors will receive a jury summons and questionnaire in the mail. Their answers are used by attorneys to select the final members of each jury panel. 
  • The jury summons includes general information about jury service, and a jury group number, which is used by the court to adjust the number of jurors needed.
  • Specific appearance instructions for each group are recorded the night before jury service and are available by calling (719) 385-5926 after 5:00 PM Be sure to call the night before your appearance date!

Jurors may reach Tammy Cluver, Jury Commissioner, by telephone or e-mail. You may call (719) 385-5926, or contact the main operator at (719) 385-5928. If there is no answer, you may leave a message. These messages are checked daily for your convenience.

Orientation To Jury Service

Citizens summoned to jury service in the Colorado Springs Municipal Court are asked to take a day out of their busy lives and participate in a fundamental obligation of citizenship in our American democracy. A juror’s job is to serve as the ultimate finder of fact in a court trial. If you have been summoned to serve, here is what you can reasonably expect to happen:

  • Jurors are instructed to call the court at (719) 385-5926 and listen to a recorded message prior to reporting. This message contains reporting instructions and is updated the afternoon before your jury service date. There are times that not all jurors summoned need to report for service. Calling and listening to this message eliminates the inconvenience of unnecessarily appearing the morning of trial.
  • Prospective jurors are asked to report to the jury assembly room (Room 120, which is close to the building entrance on the first floor) of the Robert M. Isaac Municipal Court building by 8:30 AM. Parking is free to jurors (see PARKING below for instructions.)
  • All who enter the courthouse pass through a metal detector and security screening. This is done for everyone’s protection – remember, this is a courthouse. 
  • Upon arrival at Room 120, please check in with the Jury Clerk who will be located to your left as you enter the room. The Jury Clerk will ask for your completed questionnaire, which was included with your jury summons. The Clerk will also validate your parking garage stub and pay you the statutory sum of $5.00 for your service.
  • After check-in, you will wait with others in the assembly room. Coffee, donuts, and bagels will be provided. Newspapers will be available, as will cable TV. Secure restroom facilities are located on the east side of the assembly room.
  • Courtrooms will begin calling for jurors at about 9:00 am. Municipal court schedules its jury trials on Fridays to assure the best utilization of your time. Generally, two or more courtrooms will be calling for jurors, but, occasionally, only a single courtroom may call. If there are a lot of people in the assembly room with you, you can expect multiple courtrooms to call. It is also possible that none will call on you. Sometimes the mere presence of potential jurors in the building will cause cases to settle. When this happens, you will be permitted to leave early. Even if you do not serve, by simply reporting for service you may help this court close its cases, and your obligation has been met.
  • If a courtroom does call for a jury, the jury clerk will call names and assemble the members of the jury panel. A clerk from the courtroom will come down and escort the panel to the courtroom.

The Process

  •  Juries in municipal courts are composed of either three or six people. In addition to the three or six people needed to serve on the jury, the jury panel also has an additional six or seven other members, making the whole panel consist of a total from nine to thirteen. Everyone on the panel will be seated in the first few rows of courtroom benches.
  • Questions will be asked of you by the judge as well as by the prosecution and defense (this is called voir dire, which is pronounced vwahr [with a near-silent "r"] deer). The City Attorney represents the City of Colorado Springs and is also called "the prosecution", and sometimes "the City" or " the People." An attorney may also represent the defendant –the person charged with violating the law. Sometimes the defendant will not have an attorney and will represent himself or herself in the trial.
  • Defendants in Municipal Court have been charged with violating either a city traffic regulation or city criminal ordinance. Common charges include: speeding, illegal lane changes, driving without insurance, shoplifting, harassment, fighting, etc. The charge against the defendant is contained in a document called a Complaint. While some of these charges may seem minor at first glance, they are very important to the person who has been charged.
  • After the questioning has been completed, each side will alternate striking three names from the panel. Those six people and any extra panel members will be excused from service on that jury. The remaining three or six will constitute the jury and will be seated in the jury box. If you are excused from the panel, please do not take offense, as being excused is no reflection on your ability to serve as a juror. In many cases, both sides would like to keep all panel members for the jury; nevertheless, six panel members must be excused. The remaining three or six will constitute the jury.
  • Once you are selected to serve as a juror and are seated, you and the other members of the jury will take an oath. The judge will then give you some instructions on what you may and may not do during breaks in the trial. The judge may also be able to give you a better idea of how long the trial is expected to last and may give you the opportunity to make a phone call to inform your family and employer about your selection as a juror.
  • At the beginning of the trial and throughout the entire process, the judge will give you instructions outlining the trial process. For your convenience, a notebook and pen will be placed by your chair in the jury box, as Colorado law allows jurors to take notes. The judge will also give you instructions about taking notes.

If you are excused from service on a jury:

  • Return to the jury assembly room to await a call for another trial in another courtroom. You should know by noon whether or not you will actually be selected to serve on a trial jury.
  • Once all trial jurors have been selected for the day, the remainder will be released and are free to leave. The municipal court makes every effort to release jurors as soon as possible.


Free juror parking is located in the parking garage at the Southwest corner of Kiowa Street and Nevada Avenue. The entrance can be found on Kiowa Street, which is a one-way street heading east. Parking is permitted in any space not marked Reserved or Handicapped. Bring the parking garage stub with you and present it to the Jury Clerk for validation when you check in. The validation assures jurors of free parking while on jury duty.

Payments and Parking Tickets

Payment Information

The Colorado Springs Municipal Court receives payments for both traffic and criminal summons and complaints. This includes fines, parking citations, jury fees, court and warrant costs, and restitution. Information regarding payment options is provided below and on the back of the summons or parking ticket. Failure to make payments as indicated below may result in additional costs or the issuance of an arrest warrant.

Good Driver Plea Offer:  If you have received a good driver plea offer in the mail please note that the on-line and telephone payment options will indicate your original charge(s).  The point reduction will occur AFTER payment has been posted and will not be displayed.  Retain the Good Driver Plea Offer letter for your records.

Schedule of payable fines and bail  | Pay Online

Parking Tickets

Parking tickets must be paid within 7 days of issuance; a $5 late charge is added on the 8th day. If you wish to contest a parking ticket, you should see a Referee before the scheduled court date.

Payment options:

  • ONLINEPay online via our payment processor nCourt at  Please note that there is a service fee for processing your payment online.
  • DROP BOX:  Place your payment along with your case or summons number in an envelope and place in the drop box in front of the Municipal courthouse.  DO NOT place in drop box ON your court date as it will not be processed until the following day and a warrant may be issued.
  • PHONE: To make a payment by phone, please call 719-377-9788.  Please note that there is a service fee for processing your payment over the phone.
  • MAIL:  Make your check or money order payable to:  CITY OF COLORADO SPRINGS and mail to Municipal Court, PO Box 2169, Colorado Springs, CO 80901.  Include your case or summons number. 
  • IN PERSON:  Between 8:00AM and 5:00PM at the Municipal courthouse.  Bring your case or summons number with you.  Notice

An accumulation of unpaid parking tickets could result in the immobilization or towing of your vehicle, the issuance of a summons and complaint, or referral to a collections agency. 


    Summons and Complaints may be paid if the officer has marked a payable amount on the front of the summons form. The court must receive all payments made before the court date indicated on the summons. If there is no payment amount indicated, the summons is not payable and a court appearance is required.

    By paying the fine instead of appearing in court, the defendant surrenders all the legal rights to which they are entitled. Payment is a plea of guilty to the offense(s) charged. Penalty points will be assessed against one's driving record by the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If the defendant does not wish to plead guilty, they should not pay the fine and their court appearance is required.

    The defendant may enter a plea of not guilty and ask for a trial even if they think they might have committed the offense charged. The phrase "not guilty" is understood legal jargon for saying "I want to exercise my constitutional rights and require the government to prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt."

    Click on the links below to see generic copies of each type of summons.

    Court Costs

    A court cost of $25 is applied to all payments made on or after the court date. Additional costs or fees (up to $100) may be assessed if the bank returns a check or if the person charged fails to appear in court. Failure to appear in court will also result in the issuance of an arrest warrant and the person could be taken into custody at any time. An outstanding warrant may additionally cause the revocation of a Colorado driver's license.

    Payment options:

    • MAIL: Municipal Court, PO Box 2169, Colorado Springs, CO 80901-2169.
    • ONLINE:  Pay online via our payment processor nCourt at  Please note that there is a service fee for processing your payment online. Defendants should have their ticket number, summons/case number, and credit card available. 
    • DROP BOX: Defendants may come to the Municipal Court Building at 224 East Kiowa Street and place a copy of the summons along with a check in a sealed envelope and deposit it into the drop box located in front of the building. This is an option to be used prior to a court date; on or after the court date the payment must be made in person.
    • IN PERSON: Defendants may choose to pay in person in Room 108 of the Municipal Court building at 224 East Kiowa Street during normal business hours (8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.) Monday – Friday.
    • PHONE: To make a payment by phone, please call 719-377-9788.  Please note that there is a service fee for processing your payment over the phone.
    • PAY IN PAYMENTS: If defendants need to make payment arrangements after their court appearance, they may proceed to the Probation Department, Room 230. For a listing of payment options, please read "Payment Programs".
    • Make checks payable to: THE CITY OF COLORADO SPRINGS for the full amount of the fine and costs. Payment for a summons must be received before a scheduled court date, otherwise, an appearance in court is required.
    For additional payment information, see Municipal Court Payment Options (General Order pdf)

    Wondering where your money goes?

    • FINE AND COSTS: Fine and costs go into the General City Fund to support the variety of services provided by the City of Colorado Springs.
    • SURCHARGE: The surcharge added to traffic violations supports the school crossing guard program and school safety zone improvements.
    • RESTITUTION: Restitution collected goes to victims of crime.
    **If you discover that you have overpaid your fine, please appear in person to request your refund.**

    E-mail the Court at:

    Municipal Court Administrator

    Judge HayDen William Kane II

    Phone: 719-385-6303

    Fax: 719-385-6203

    224 E. Kiowa St., Ste. 341

    Colorado Springs, CO 80903

    The current Court Administrator is Presiding Judge HayDen William Kane II. Judge Kane presides over ten judges and is responsible for the daily management of the court. Judge Kane obtained his BA in Political Science from the University of Colorado and his Juris Doctor from Creighton University. He was appointed as Associate Municipal Court Judge in 2001 and then as Presiding Judge of Colorado Springs Municipal Court in 2007. In 2014, he left private practice to assume the duties of Municipal Court Administrator.

    Judge Kane served as Executive President of the Colorado Bar Association in 2014, President of the El Paso County Bar Association in 2012, and as a representative to the Colorado State Board of Governors in 2009. He is a member of the Colorado Springs Leadership Institute and was recently elected to the Colorado Municipal Judges Association's Board of Directors.

    Judge Kane has been involved in Colorado Springs Teen Court, a restorative justice program, since its inception in 1994.  He was a member of the Board of Directors from 2004 to 2015 and has served as both President and Vice President. In 2008, he received the Colorado Springs Teen Court Founders Award — “In Grateful Appreciation of Your Tireless Efforts and Lasting Contributions.” Judge Kane participates annually as a volunteer in the El Paso County High School mock trial competition. Until his departure from private practice, he participated in the Colorado Supreme Court’s Pro Bono Achievement Program and was a member of Ecumenical Christian Legal Services, where he worked to provide legal assistance to the underprivileged.

    Court Referees

    Municipal Court Referees are appointed by the Presiding Judge in an effort to resolve a variety of different issues in an informal environment rather than in the courtroom before a judge. While the standard burden of proof remains beyond a reasonable doubt, hearings generally occur without attorneys and the rules of evidence are not as rigidly enforced as they are in a normal court hearing. 

    Limited Walk-In Services

    Referees are authorized to resolve some issues on a walk-in basis, meaning you may be able to resolve your situation without paying the fine or appearing before a judge. In the interest of justice, with eligible issues, Referees have the authority to reduce or modify a fine when the circumstances are compelling.

    Eligible Issues

    Not all legal issues are eligible for Referee review, and the Referee has limited scope in others. The kinds of issues that are commonly eligible for review by a court Referee include parking tickets, proof of compulsory insurance and minor equipment violations. Vehicle post-tow hearings are not appealable. Rather, the Referee's action is limited to determining if the police officer had probable cause to have the vehicle towed.

    Finding a Referee

    Referees are located in Room 107 of the Municipal Court building. Their fax number is (719) 385-6437.

    Normal business hours are Monday through Friday:

    • 9:00 AM to Noon
    • 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM


    Eleven judges preside over the daily sessions of the Colorado Springs Municipal Court. Municipal Court judges are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by Colorado Springs City Council. Each judge is a licensed attorney at law who may also maintain a law practice while serving the City of Colorado Springs as a judge on a part-time basis. Communication with any individual judge about specific cases is done on the record in open court. Please note that judges do not accept private phone calls outside of the courtroom.

    Presiding Judge/Court Administrator:

    Hayden W. Kane II

    Associate Judges:

    Jason Berns

    Robert Briggle

    Carol Carter

    Edward Colt

    Joseph D. Dirscherl 

    Spencer A. Gresham

    Kristen L. Hoffecker

    Michele S. Price

    Matthew D. Ramirez 

    Patrick Salt 


    Probation Department Information

    224 East Kiowa, Room 230

    PO Box 2169, Mail Code 1530
    Colorado Springs, CO 80901-2169
    Phone: (719) 385-5923


    This department handles Municipal Court cases only. Those who have gone through either County Court or District Court should contact their probation officer at 4th Judicial District Adult Probation at (719) 452-5900. 

    Payment Extensions

    Most people are referred to the Probation Department by judges after they have requested time to pay a fine. For payment arrangement options, please see the court's Minute Order. Payments can be made online or in person by cash, check, money order, VISA, Mastercard, or Discover.

    Those who cannot pay in full are required to answer a number of background questions and wait to see a Probation Technician to establish an agreeable payment schedule. In such cases, the court may impose an additional $25 administrative fee. To save time, you can download the Financial Affidavit, fill it out, and bring it to the Probation Department after your court appearance. (Note: To read this document, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader.)

    Sentencing Information

    Some people are referred to the probation department by judges who want more information before imposing a sentence. In such cases the judge orders a pre-sentence investigation (PSI) report. An independent investigator, who interviews the participants in the incident, checks the defendant's prior criminal record and personal background. Probation staff members then establish the date the defendant is to return to court for sentencing.


    If a criminal incident has resulted in property damage or personal injury, the judge may order the defendant to pay restitution (compensation) to the victim of the crime. Restitution is often recommended to the judge by probation staff. In such cases, both the victim and the defendant interact with probation staff. The victim is generally asked to provide documentation for the amount of restitution being requested; the defendant then works out an acceptable payment plan with the probation officer. Restitution payments can be made in Room 108 of the Violations Bureau or mailed to the Court.

    To pay by mail, send payments to:

    Attn: Restitution Payments

    Municipal Court

    PO Box 2169

    Colorado Springs, CO 80901-2169

    Formal Probation

    Formal Probation is a sanction imposed on repeat or resistant offenders who are identified as being able to benefit from serving a sentence under the supervision of a Probation Officer. At sentencing, the offender may have a fine and/or jail time suspended on the condition that they comply with formal probation. Specific terms of formal probation may be ordered by the Court based upon recommendations from the Probation Department.

    Probation Programs

    In addition to the imposition of fines and costs, judges often impose required attendance at remedial schools and classes as a condition of probation. Probation Officers arrange such attendance and monitor compliance with the judge's orders. The following table includes a list of possible programs/measures offenders may be ordered to participate in and complete. Other measures may be ordered by the Court as recommended by the Probation Department.


    Probation Programs/Measures
    Alcohol/Drug Assessment & Treatment Petty Theft Education
    Anger Management Counseling Public Service Work Program
    Cognitive Skills Training Program Restitution Payments
    Conflict Management Class School or Alternative School Programs
    Domestic Violence Counseling Essay
    Women's Group Random Urinalysis Screens
    Level 1 Alcohol & Drug Awareness for Young Adults  
    Mental Health Counseling and/or Medication  
    Monitored Antabuse Programs

    Proof of Compliance

    Failure to comply with probation orders could result in your probation being revoked. It is your responsibility to ensure that proof of compliance is sent to the Probation Department as soon as the completion of a condition is satisfied. If circumstances arise that may impair your ability to comply with the Probation Order, you should promptly return to the Probation Department and explain the circumstances.