City Regulations for Animals

Share this page:

Although most animals people keep as pets are allowed within the City, certain regulations apply to each kind of animal. The following sections describe the regulations that pertain to certain types of animals. The list of regulations is by no means complete; animal owners should investigate all regulations by calling either the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region or the Land Use Review Division (contact information follows).

Dogs and Cats

The City of Colorado Springs allows up to four (4) dogs and four (4) cats over four (4) months of age per property. If a property exceeds the limitation it may be considered a kennel, which is not a permitted use within residential zones. Dogs and cats are required to be vaccinated and to be licensed through the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region. For more information about Animal Law Enforcement, public pet services, or pet adoption, or to support animal welfare in our region, visit Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region’s website at or telephone the organization at (719) 473-1741.

Rabbits and Chickens

Property owners are allowed to keep up to ten (10) rabbits or chickens aged six months or older. Roosters are, however, prohibited. Shelters for rabbits or chickens must contain at least four (4) square feet for each rabbit or chicken and must meet all other applicable zoning and building codes and regulations.

Hoofed Animals

Hoofed animals include cattle, sheep, goats, horses, and mules. The City Code regulates sanitary requirements in Section 6.9.101 and requires that any area in which hoofed animals are kept is maintained in good condition.

Hoofed animals are further regulated by the Zoning Code. In residential zones, up to four (4) hoofed animals are allowed as long as the property on which they are kept is at least 37,000 square feet and any corral or building enclosure maintains proper setbacks. There is a Code provision that allows for a hoofed goat, up to a maximum of 100 pounds, to be kept as a pet at a residential property. Since the goat is classified as a pet, the minimum lot size standards do not apply. If you are considering keeping any type of hoofed animal, it is strongly encouraged that you contact the Land Use Review Division at (719) 385-5905 to make sure your property meets all requirements.

Potbellied Pigs

Although hogs and pigs are prohibited, up to two (2) potbellied pigs may be kept in any household or dwelling. Potbellied pigs cannot exceed one hundred (100) pounds, must be registered with the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region, and must be either spayed or neutered by four (4) months of age. All potbellied pigs must be tattooed or implanted with a microchip containing identifying information by four (4) months old. For other regulations pertaining to potbellied pigs, contact the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region.

Exotic Animals

Exotic animals are those which are not commonly domesticated or which are not common to North America or which, irrespective of geographic origin, are of a wild or predatory nature. It is unlawful for anyone to own or keep an exotic animal within the City limits unless he or she has first obtained an Exotic Animal Permit. The application for a Permit must be made to the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region, along with all required fees

Additional Information:

Zoning and Subdivision information is contained within Chapter 7. Regulations pertaining to animals can be found in Chapter 6.