September is National Preparedness Month! Prepare to Protect means preparing to protect everyone you love. Start by making a plan before disasters and emergencies strike. Does everyone know what to do when an emergency happens?
Here are five steps to get you started.
- Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated. Your household may not be together when a disaster strikes.
- Establish meeting places outside of the home that are familiar and easy to find.
- Sign-up for emergency alerts.
- Create a Household Emergency Plan. Involve your entire family, including your children, in planning for disasters & emergencies so they are prepared, not afraid. Practice your emergency plan with members of your household.
- Know where to go and what to bring if you need to evacuate. Houses, mobile homes, apartments, and high-rise buildings have different evacuation considerations. Make a plan for each.