Colorado Living History
Student become immersed in 18th and 19th century culture during this interactive educational experience.
This program is seasonal. Please check the calendar for dates and times.
Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site Colorado History School Program is designed to help students become immersed in the 18th and 19th century’s culture for an interactive, educational experience. This program is designed so that students learn they are living history, and relate what they learn about the past to their lives today. Students are encouraged to participate with hands-on activities, and to ask and answer questions. This program is geared for Colorado third grade curriculum; however, we encourage all ages to participate!
The Living History Program focuses on the lifestyles, struggles, and rewards of:
- American Indians
- Homesteaders, explorers, and farmers
Planning your visit:
- Programs offered 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. or 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.
- Program fee is $3 per person. Minimum of 50 students, maximum of 75 attending per time slot.
- We will greet you at the main parking lot at 3105 Gateway Road. Please arrive prior to the reservation time, as late arrivals will receive a shorter program.
- Our staff and volunteers are here to facilitate learning. Teachers and chaperones/parents are responsible for student behavior and to model proper field trip etiquette.
- Have three even groups pre-assigned in order to rotate through the historic sites.
- Please ensure all visitors are prepared for the weather!
- The Office Manager will look for the person responsible for making the reservation for payment in one lump sum.
- Picnic lunches are welcome. Picnic tables available South of the Orchard House or by the pond. Trash and recycling receptacles provided.
- If your class(es) would like to explore Rock Ledge Ranch before/after the scheduled program, an activity packet exploring additional sites not covered in the program will be provided.
Basic Blacksmith Shop
This event series is seasonal. Registration starts in April and closes when full. Check the calendar for dates and times.
These hands-on workshops will include an overview of blacksmithing history, tools, techniques and discussions of supplies necessary for starting your own shop. Each participant will forge practical and decorative items from hot steel to take home and amaze their family and friends!
Please note: this workshop does NOT take place at Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site. On the day of the workshop, you will meet at 2265 Spectra, Colorado Springs.
participants much be 16-years or older.