Capturing debris before it enters the stormwater system helps maintain a healthy stormwater system and helps prevent pollution from impacting our waterways. And that’s exactly what these innovative Gutter Bins do as they capture about 30 pounds of trash and debris a month that would have entered our waterways.
The Colorado Springs Stormwater Enterprise has partnered with Frog Creek Partners to reduce the amount of trash entering our stormwater system and polluting our waterways through the use of innovative gutter bins to capture toxic pollution before it enters the stormwater system.
“Thousands of pounds of trash and debris enter our stormwater system every year which requires significant maintenance taking a toll on both our stormwater system and our watersheds,” said Jeff Besse, Water Quality Program Manager for the City of Colorado Springs. “The Clean Water Community Challenge allows businesses and organizations to actively reduce the amount of pollution in our waterways while leaving a legacy of clean water with curbside branding.”
Several organizations have stepped up to take the Clean Water Community Challenge and are leaving the legacy of clean water.
A huge thanks to Robertson’s Landscaping for helping to maintain the bins and to GE Johnson, WSP Engineering, and the Rotary Club of Colorado Springs for their efforts to help keep our stormwater system and waterways clean for everyone!
More about the Clean Water Community Challenge
- Helps environment and water quality with each capturing approximately 30 pounds of trash and debris every month.
- Cost effective way to reduce pollution- cost savings can be allocated to other stormwater projects and programs
- Builds awareness
Benefits to sponsors
- Legacy donation provides years of curbside branding and filtration system with sponsor logo prominently displayed on the storm drain
- Knowing you’re doing your part to keep waterways clean
- Reduce the amount of trash near your real estate
- Gutter Bins to be maintained by the City of Colorado Springs in partnership with Robertson's Landscaping
The Colorado Springs Stormwater Enterprise launched a pilot program in July 2019 with the installation of three Gutter Bins to test this innovative technology and determined the filtration system offers a final fail-safe to capture trash and debris before it enters the stormwater system. With the success of the pilot program, the City purchased six additional Gutter Bins in August 2020.
For more information about the Clean Water Community Challenge and how to get involved visit www.ColoradoSprings.gov/CleanWaterChallenge